Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

CASH SHOP - Some ideas. Add yours, and concerns.

This topic has been closed.
    • 999 posts
    March 22, 2016 4:09 PM PDT

@Krixus

I was one of the many most vocal supporters aganist the cash shop that was originally posted on this site (sprinter's boots, etc.) and it was removed.  And there was discussion of no cash shop period; however, I was disappointed to see Kilsin mention that they're leaving the door open for non-advantageous in game items in cash shop on a different thread.  I get it, they need to pay the bills, but I think it's a bad idea.

If there was any sort of cash shop, it would need to be for purely external items: Coffee Mugs, Pantheon T-Shirts, Hats, Cloth Maps, Collector's editions etc. etc.  An in-game cash shop will ultimately lead to exp potions and other cash grabs, the money draw is too much - I don't care if the original intention of the shop was 100% pure with promises of no in-game advantages.

This post was edited by Raidan at March 22, 2016 4:12 PM PDT
    • 18 posts
    March 22, 2016 4:11 PM PDT

I hate cash shops with a burning passion that I reserve only for cash shops.  I'm glad to hear they've said no cash shops, and I hope they stick to that decision.

• 2130 posts
    March 22, 2016 4:12 PM PDT

I still think it's naive for the developers to not pursue a purely aesthetic cash shop, but whatever.

It's an amazing revenue stream and outside of a few vocal complainers it seems like a positive. People generally only talk about things when they oppose them, so when you look at articles/forum posts, there is an inherent bias towards a negative opinion of any given thing. It's the same concept with customer reviews. Positive reviews are very rare in contrast with negative ones, because most satisfied people don't feel the psychological drive to invest effort in expressing their positive opinions.

The power over the cash shop rests in the hands of the developers. By not having a cash shop as well, they're basically admitting one of two things:

1. We can't trust ourselves to not sell gameplay advantages, so we're abstaining because we're that incompetent.

2. We're naive enough to pass up on a massive revenue stream because we've fallaciously concluded that cash shops as a concept are flawed, regardless of implementation.

Either way, I do not think it is anyone's best interests to not have one, but I guess I don't really give a **** anyway.

• 999 posts
    March 22, 2016 4:15 PM PDT

Liav said:

I still think it's naive for the developers to not pursue a purely aesthetic cash shop, but whatever.

No cash shop has ever stayed purely aesthetic, and, even if you (developers) could promise that with 100% certainty, it still waters down itemization within the game, which goes back to the "appearance gear" thread.

• 793 posts
    March 22, 2016 4:25 PM PDT

Only item in a cash shop I would want is a figurine of my character as I created it. :)

• 180 posts
    March 22, 2016 4:25 PM PDT

I'm not particularly fond of cash shops, but I could see the value of selling smaller bites of content like new character model packs and new classes.  

• 844 posts
    March 22, 2016 4:26 PM PDT

Well last I checked, game making is still a business. Investors expect a profit on their investments, and hopefully to see revenues increase over time as on any investment.

Game development of something on the scale of a large MMO takes a lot of money and usually more in the dev process than in the support and live operation stages.

I for one am not against having a cash shop if it means keeping the Pantheon project a viable operation.

Cash shops help with period revenue bumps from holiday items and new collectibles that players love to have.

People talk about paying large monthly sub fees but until those numbers get crunched out I think other sources of revenue are going to be needed.

If there is one thing that FTP and cash shops have taught the gaming industry is that not all players are equal, at least financially. Some have far more casual cash to part with than others. Making everyone a $15 user is not a wise choice anymore financially. Some have less time and more money and want to spend it. On themselves, on friends, on their guild. There should be a mechanism if only to keep a game business viable.

It's nice to shout all high and mighty NO CASH SHOP, but when friends ask whatever happened to that Pantheon game that you were waiting for you can say the same thing.

• 176 posts
    March 22, 2016 4:32 PM PDT

At the beginning of EQ2 they had some idea where every quarter or every four months maybe they would release an expansion pack. They did a few of them but not many. I always like that idea. I mean you had to pay another 15 or 20 bucks or whatever it was but you got access to a whole new area with few easy group or raid mobs and maybe some dungeon or something with some new gear and some new stuff that was attainable in that area. This to me seem like a good way for the game to make money rather than just sell the items out right to the player.

• 9115 posts
    March 22, 2016 5:03 PM PDT

I must admit I /facepalmed when I saw the title of this thread but was pleasantly surprised by the maturity shown compared to what I expected to see with so many replies lol :)

My post yesterday was playing it safe, in case we need sell merchandise/fluff/cosmetic items later on down the track (I'm talking 5-10-15 years down the track...) when the honeymoon period wears off and subscription numbers drop to keep the revenue coming in and the game supported.

I should have explained it better as I did not anticipate this thread being created or my post being referred too but to clear it up, we still maintain the stance of no cash shop and will continue that stance through launch and into the future until there may be a time where we need to bring in extra revenue to support the game, if that time ever comes around it will be a priority of mine to speak to the community first to get feedback on what you may wish to see in the store but this is something that may happen 5-10 years from now, or it may not happen at all, so definitely not worth worrying about at this point in time, it was merely an option to consider later on in the games "end years". :)

• 93 posts
    March 22, 2016 5:25 PM PDT

Wolfsong said:

If it's in the game, it should be earned in the game, by playing the game.

I'll second this, and what Fazool said about cosmetic motivation for drops.

This post was edited by halflingwarrior at March 22, 2016 5:33 PM PDT
    • 999 posts
    March 22, 2016 5:30 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

I must admit I /facepalmed when I saw the title of this thread but was pleasantly surprised by the maturity shown compared to what I expected to see with so many replies lol :)

My post yesterday was playing it safe, in case we need sell merchandise/fluff/cosmetic items later on down the track (I'm talking 5-10-15 years down the track...) when the honeymoon period wears off and subscription numbers drop to keep the revenue coming in and the game supported.

I should have explained it better as I did not anticipate this thread being created or my post being referred too but to clear it up, we still maintain the stance of no cash shop and will continue that stance through launch and into the future until there may be a time where we need to bring in extra revenue to support the game, if that time ever comes around it will be a priority of mine to speak to the community first to get feedback on what you may wish to see in the store but this is something that may happen 5-10 years from now, or it may not happen at all, so definitely not worth worrying about at this point in time, it was merely an option to consider later on in the games "end years". :)

The voice of reason!  I appreciate the clarification.

• 52 posts
    March 22, 2016 5:34 PM PDT

No cash shop. If you want to look good go buy / find x outfit / gear.

With that said if they do add it I am okay with inventory / storage expansion cash shop items as well as buying additonal character slots.

• 2138 posts
    March 22, 2016 5:40 PM PDT

zewtastic said:

Ok so now given what you can not have, what is left. 

Cash Shop Ideas

• Additional House and Bank storage. (not on-character storage)
    • Additional character slots
    •  

lockquote]

I see what you re getting at, but I disagree with these two,I dont think those should be cash shop items

• 132 posts
    March 22, 2016 6:06 PM PDT

Charge $59 for game and $49 each expansion, $14.99 a month. 

There won't be any cash shops. And I don't want any. 

• 1434 posts
    March 22, 2016 10:48 PM PDT

No cash shops, everything in game should be obtained by playing the game.

This post was edited by Dullahan at March 22, 2016 10:50 PM PDT
    • 563 posts
    March 22, 2016 11:34 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

Thank you for the clarification Kilsin, I've been seriously thinking about upping my pledge again and when I heard that I thought, maybe I'll hold out and keep that extra money for whatever they put in the shop lol (it may make no difference to the development in the end how they get that money, but it's a BIG difference to me).

If there is any type of "shop" I think it should only be account services; server transfer, name change, additional character slots, maybe even an appearance/gender change for an existing character (face it, a lot of people think they're happy with their character in creation but later down the line realize they hate something about it xP) (I think these alone will generate a lot of revenue).

I would not want to see any sort of in game items, "fluff" or not, as I've ALWAYS seen fluff items as a symbol of achievement; a rare painting/ carpet, furniture for your house (I loved collecting these in SWG :P), a special RP outfit, a neat mini pet, a special emote etc. obtained from a long questline/very rare drop. Being able to buy these types of things takes away a huge driving factor to continue playing, farming and discovering the world cause you can just buy them. I like the arduous journey it usually takes to obtain said "fluff" and the achievement and satisfaction I feel when I have earned it through rigorous play.

Rachael

• 1468 posts
    March 23, 2016 1:01 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Thanks for the clarification Kilsin.

I agree with everyone who says that they want all items to be achievable by playing the game. I think that is a very important part of MMOs. If I see someone with a really cool looking weapon for example and I find out it was bought in a cash shop I always feel somewhat disappointed. I want to hear that the person beat a really hard group or raid encounter to get such a cool looking weapon not that they have just spent £10 on a cash item to make themselves look better. It just ruins the wow factor for me.

• 26 posts
    March 23, 2016 1:58 AM PDT

fazool said:

Some of the most compelling motivators in EQ were for purely cosmetic items.....simply because they looked so cool.  

Once we could buy ornaments all that went away, so I have very mixed feelings about it.

I would prefer no cash shop at all, ever.  I would rather pay a big subscription price.

I agree totally, if you can buy a great looking item, how can you show off one you quested an eternity for. what pride is their..

No cash shop, Higher Subscription for me please

• 176 posts
    March 23, 2016 3:55 AM PDT

Rachael said:

If there is any type of "shop" I think it should only be account services; server transfer, name change, additional character slots, maybe even an appearance/gender change for an existing character (face it, a lot of people think they're happy with their character in creation but later down the line realize they hate something about it xP) (I think these alone will generate a lot of revenue).

I would not want to see any sort of in game items, "fluff" or not, as I've ALWAYS seen fluff items as a symbol of achievement; a rare painting/ carpet, furniture for your house (I loved collecting these in SWG :P), a special RP outfit, a neat mini pet, a special emote etc. obtained from a long questline/very rare drop. Being able to buy these types of things takes away a huge driving factor to continue playing, farming and discovering the world cause you can just buy them. I like the arduous journey it usually takes to obtain said "fluff" and the achievement and satisfaction I feel when I have earned it through rigorous play.

Rachael

I like the way you think.

This post was edited by Jamie at March 23, 2016 4:18 AM PDT
    • 12 posts
    March 23, 2016 4:32 AM PDT

I hate cash shops - it always starts with "only cosmetic items" and a year later you can buy high end gear.

I don't mind if i have to pay for the game, for the expansion and a monthly sub, but no cash shop.

They only thing that should cost real cash should be server transfers, as long as a server is not totally under / over -populated

Name changes should not be possible, otherwhise the whole idea with "building a reputation to your name" is wasted. If you act like an idiot its totally fine for me if the whole server know about it. Acting like an idiot and just change your name every two weeks is nothing i support.

This post was edited by Ondoki at March 23, 2016 4:34 AM PDT
    • 384 posts
    March 23, 2016 6:54 AM PDT

@Kilsin Thank you for the more thorough explanation! That scenario sounds just fine to me. I was a bit worried before. :)

• 271 posts
    March 23, 2016 7:00 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

I must admit I /facepalmed when I saw the title of this thread

Have i said i love you? In a very Platonic kind of way, but love you nonetheless?

• 393 posts
    March 23, 2016 7:05 AM PDT

zewtastic said:

Those days are gone. We live in the age of FTP cash grabs by games that generate revenue by selling P2W schemes based on gambling and grinding.

Just because "those days" are gone does not mean that some of us cannot have a game that follows a different path. Truth isn't measured in mass appeal.

No cash shop for me.

• March 23, 2016 7:11 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Thank you for putting that baby to bed.

• 556 posts
    March 23, 2016 7:40 AM PDT

The only type of cash shop I would support is a web based one used for server changes/appearance changes. Maybe some cool Mounts or pets with no actual benefits other than looks. Similar to WoW's minus the token. Having a sub based game is already hard enough this day and age. Add a cash shop in and people would be livid